Having a pimple is very usual when you are a teenager. But if you have painful, red, and large breakouts, it may be due to cystic acne. Cystic acne can grow on your chin, and it can be visible and sometimes embarrassing. But don’t worry, there are many ways on how you can get rid of this. In this article, we will discuss the causes of cystic acne, and its treatment.
What Is Cystic Acne?
Cystic acne breakout on the chin is a severe kind of acne that can also lead to infection or inflammation. Around 80 percent of people between the age of 11 and 30 experience acne. Moreover, one of the leading reasons why people visit a dermatologist is due to acne.
Cystic Acne Pictures – Chin
What Causes Cystic Acne On The Chin And Jawline?
1. Clogged Pores
Pimples are formed when there is a clog on your pores. Usually, this is clogged due to dead skin and oil. There are instances when bacteria are trapped in the pores, making it become swollen and red.
2. Skin Infection
On the other hand, cystic acne occurs when your skin gets an infection. This is usually manifested by a tender bump filled with pus. It is normally painful. But there are cases when it becomes itchy. The infection will further spread if this bursts, thereby causing more breakouts.
3. Hormonal Changes
There are different causes of acne on your face. Cystic acne on jawline and chin is sometimes linked to hormones, especially if this is experienced by women. Androgen, a hormone stimulating the production of sebum, can cause the clogging of pores.
This hormone is typically increasing during the teenage years; that is why acne is very common to this age group. But as they reach adulthood, there is a fluctuation of hormonal levels.
Moreover, acne is very common when you have menstruation. This may also be explained by the production of androgens. People with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are most likely to have acne because the production of androgen is increased.
How To Get Rid Of Cystic Acne On The Chin?
There are many ways on how you can treat your acne. It is noteworthy that not all treatments work the same. Mild cases of acne can usually be treated using acne creams that can be bought over-the-counter.
Here are some of the ways on how you can get rid of your acne;
Try Home Remedies
- You should wash your face, including your jawline, with a gentle cleanser. Sometimes, the cause of acne is merely due to dirt.
- You can use acne ointment that can be bought over-the-counter. But please be careful when choosing one, as it might aggravate your skin problem. It is advisable to seek help from a dermatologist. Try to look for an online dermatologist.
- Remember not to pick at it. Remember that the more you touch it, the more it will worsen your skin condition. But if you don’t touch it often, the more likely you will be healed as soon.
- Your doctor may prescribe you to try topical treatments such as creams, gels, and ointments. This can help kill bacteria, causing your skin to clog. Some of these treatments need a prescription, such as a benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, and antibiotics.
- To reduce the bacteria causing your skin to breakout, your doctor might prescribe an antibiotic.
- Using birth control pills can actually help in regulating your hormones, causing acne.
- If you tried some of the above-mentioned ways to get rid of acne without success, your doctor might prescribe isotretinoin.
- Laser therapy can help minimize the bacteria found on your skin.
- Your dermatologist may perform a chemical peel that helps in reducing the appearance of acne and blackheads.
- Cystic pimples on the chin can be extracted by your dermatologist.
The best treatment for cystic acne on chin depends upon the individual. As mentioned earlier, what works best for one may not be effective for others. Aside from home remedies and medications prescribed by your dermatologists, you also need to follow some preventive care by simply keeping your skin clean. You should also make lifestyle changes such as engaging in physical activities, choosing a healthy diet, and avoiding stress. It may be embarrassing to have a cystic pimple on your face. But you should not lose hope; instead, you should look for the treatment that suits you best. You can also ask a doctor online.
Doctor, author and fitness enthusiast, Ahmed Zayed, MD, is a surgery resident with a passion for helping people live a happy healthy life. He is the author of numerous health-related books and contributor to several medicine, health and wellbeing.