What Does Flabby Skin Inside Cheek Mean?
This is a patch that may develop inside the mouth of an individual. It can occur on the floor of your mouth but most commonly on the cheek of an individual. The flabby skin inside cheek occurs when there is a reaction to the chronic irritation on the light mouth mucous membrane.
The flabby skin inside the cheek can occur at any time of an individual’s life. The study done shows that it is more common in aged people when compared to adults. This condition can occur to anyone irrespective of their sex.
Flabby Skin Inside Cheek Causes
There are various causes of this condition, among them includes:
- Infection– Some fungal infection can cause this condition. Candida Albicans a type of yeast is said to be a common infection in the mouth especially the cheek. Though this infection can cause a lot of trouble to an individual it can be easily treated as it is not a serious infection. This fungus infects mostly moist places such as mouth but also it has been observed that it can also affect genitals and wounds. The mouth infection is known as Oral Candidiasis. This fungal infection is most common in people with reduced immunity in their body.
- Trauma And Friction– This can be attributed to poorly fitted dentures, cheek biting or fillings (frictional keratosis). Frictional keratosis is very common and is mostly caused by regular friction on the soft tissue of the inside of the mouth, commonly from teeth dentures. The body reacts to this irritation by laying down more cells. If the source of irritation is removed the flabby skin should disappear.
- Chemical Irritation– This may be due to aspirin burns or smoking (smoker’s keratosis). Smoker’s keratosis occurs to some people who have inflammatory reactive changes in the skin lining in the mouth due to a chemical found in the cigarette. In rare cases, this condition can be pre-cancerous.
- Caused By A Virus– People infected with AIDS or AIDS-related complex have been found to be likely infected by Epstein Barr virus which causes the flabby skin on the cheek and at the same time cause white patches on the tongue.
Flabby Skin Inside Cheek Symptoms
Consult an experienced dermatologist to know what kind of flabby skin you have by just looking at it, asking how long it has been there or just looking at its position. To know even more, the doctor will take a biopsy of the flabby skin to give advanced treatment.
The presence of sagging skin on the cheek in your mouth may be a sign of some condition such as Leukoplakia. The sagging skin develops at slow rates over weeks to months to be thick, slightly raised and rough texture. These flabby skins are painless though and are very sensitive to touch, heat and spicy foods.
To be certain of the cause one is given a local anesthetic to numb the affected area, a small piece of tissue from the lesion is removed to be looked at under a microscope. The area where a biopsy has been done may be a little sore for a few days. So one is advised to rinse his or her mouth with warm salted water for weeks to keep the area free of infection and to accelerate the healing process.
Flabby Skin Inside Cheek Treatment
Treatment of flabby skin is a very easy thing if at all individual knows the cause of it, which simply means removing the source of the irritation. For instance, if the sagging skin is caused by an irregular surface on the filling or denture, the dentist will be required to smoothen and to do dental appliance repair.
If the flabby skin is caused by tobacco chemicals, the individual will be required to reduce the rate of using all tobacco-related products to avoid this condition. This will check on smoker’s keratosis. For people with sagging skin caused by a fungal infection, the dentist my use anti fungal tablets in treating it. Also in some other cases mouthwashes with chlorhexidine may be used.
This condition is usually harmless and lesions clear in just few weeks or even a month if the source of irritation is removed. If at all the source of irritation does not reduce the sagging skin, general dentist or oral surgeon may recommend surgery to get rid of it. Those caused by AIDS-related complicationS, individual can go for antiviral.
Home Remedies For Flabby Skin Inside Cheek
Poor dental hygiene and the habit of biting cheek due to stress can cause the development of skin tag inside the month. There are several home remedies which can be used, among them include:
Honey is known for its medicinal value, people with a painful flap of skin inside the cheek can use honey to soothe pain and the same time will reduce inflammation. Honey is applied to the affected area for few times in a day which helps in healing the flabby skin.
Ice is used to numb irritation and pain brought about by the flabby skin. One should sip cold water which helps in numbing the skin.
Turmeric is a kitchen spice which has strong antibacterial properties, therefore, can be used by people who have a frequent fungal infection in the mouth. This product has been used for long to treat different skin infections.
Application is very easy, make a paste of turmeric and apply it on the flabby cheek and wait for some time to cool it in room temperature and get absorbed in to the body. To be more effective it should be applied twice a day.
This herb is found in the Mediterranean region and it has natural astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. In hot water put some sage leaves steam for around 15 minutes. Afterwards, gargle with herbal decoction for 2 to 3 times a day. It should be noted that this product should never be swallowed.
Yogurt is known for its nutrients, probiotics, and enzymes which regulates body processes and helps the body to heal fast. For the yogurt to be effective in getting rid of saggy skin it should be taken daily until the sag disappears.
The Lists of Home Remedies are Long, Others Remedies Which Can be Used Include:
- Moist tea bags
- Baking powder
- Apple cider vinegar among others
You may sometimes have flabby skin inside your cheek, it should not be assumed that it will go away on itself as it may be some kind of growth such as a wart or even cyst. One should always consult with your doctor or dentist in case one feels a foreign bump inside the mouth.
Medically Reviewed By