Dizziness can be the cause of many factors which include internal and external causes. A state of this isn’t a worrisome situation always. However, at the same time frequent feeling of dizziness or lightheadedness isn’t always a good sign. Knowing when to see a doctor for dizziness will save a person from unwanted complications in the future which may sometimes be life-taking.
What Is Dizziness?
According to doctors, dizziness is the sensation of instability, lightheadedness or woozy situation. Dizziness affects the sensory parts, majorly ears and eyes. However, one should understand that dizziness is not a disease but a symptom of varied disorders. Real dizziness is almost all fainting or sensing lightheadedness.
Conditions such as disequilibrium and Vertigo can also lead to this situation. One should ask a neurologist if he/she is perpetually facing dizziness and know the underlying cause.
Remember to meet your doctor if you sense repeated feelings of dizziness.
Causes Of Dizziness
The usual causes of dizziness consist of medications, migraine, and alcohol. This can even be the result of problems in the inner ears where usually balance regulation takes place.
Vertigo can also lead to this condition however, the dizziness that is the result of this is short term.
Dizziness can even result from Meniere’s disease. The other possible reason for dizziness is an acoustic neuroma.
Some other supposed causes of dizziness consist of;
- Sudden descent in blood pressure
- Heart muscle diseases
- Reduction in blood volume
- Anxiety disorders
- Low iron (anemia)
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Ear infections
- Heat strokes
- Excessive exercises
- Motion sickness
- The other rarest causes include multiple sclerosis, a malignant tumor, a stroke or any other brain disorder.
Symptoms Of Dizziness
People going through dizziness may come across varied sensations, including;
- A feeling of faint or lightheadedness
- An unrealistic feeling of spinning
- Loss of stability
- A feeling of swimming or floating
Dizziness sometimes is accompanied by vomiting, fainting or nausea. Seek emergency medical help if you have the above symptoms and symptoms for lengthy periods.
Is Dizziness A Sign Of An Emergency?
Usually not, if it is not frequent but coming across the condition too often along with other symptoms such as headaches, chest pain, sweating and seizures is a sign of emergency.
When To See A Doctor For Dizziness?
One should meet a doctor immediately if one comes across repeated dizziness episodes. One should also meet a doctor if one experiences dizziness along with the below situations;
- Head injuries
- Neck ache
- High fever
- Blurry vision
- Loss of hearing
- Difficulty talking
- Tingling or numbness
- Slackness of mouth or eyes
- Loss of mindfulness
- Chest pain
- Continuing vomiting
- Facial numbness
These symptoms and signs could designate a serious health issue, so it is significant to get a doctor help as quickly as possible.
Treatments For Dizziness
Treatment for dizziness aims at answering the underlying reason. In the majority of the cases, medical treatments and home remedies can control the dizziness cause. For instance;
- Inner-ear problems issues can be controlled with medicines and at-home aerobics that can assist control balance.
- BPV can be fixed with manoeuvres that can aid lessen symptoms. Surgery is a possibility for persons whose BPV isn’t otherwise controlled.
- Occasional injections, a healthy low-salt diet or ear surgery answers Meniere’s disease.
- Changes in lifestyle and medicines can treat migraines.
- Anxiety lessening techniques and medication can aid in fixing anxiety disorders.
- Drinking lot of fluids may aid when the condition is due to heat, dehydration and excessive exercising.
Tips To Prevent Dizziness Conditions
- Lie down or sit as soon as possible if you feel dizziness.
- Make use of a walker or cane for stability.
- Take help of handrails if you feel dizzy.
- Tai Chi and Yoga can improve balance, try them.
- Do not move or change positions suddenly.
- Do not drive or operate when you feel such a condition.
- Have a strict food plan. Stay away from alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Drink a minimum 8 glasses of water.
- Avoid stress and sleep well.
- If you sense dizziness is the result of medicines, say the same to the doctor.
- At times over-the-counter medications may help but be mindful about them.
Avoid situations such as too much humidity and too much cold circumstances if you feel your dizziness is the result of these conditions.
All these will surely help you but still, if they don’t it is time to say YES for the question when to see a doctor for dizziness.
Sudheendra is a passionate blogger for 8 years and holds a Degree in Journalism & Mass Communications. His writings particularly focus on health, medicine, diet & lifestyle. For him, everything that interlinks and relates to health & medical world entices him. His write-ups aim at educating people not by just giving facts but by infusing human touch.