Bumps on elbows can signal many causes and reasons. It is an abnormal lump or protrusion either on the elbow’s surface or in the elbow.
What Are Bumps On Elbows?
Elbow bumps are unusual projections or bumps on the elbows or between (within) the elbow joints. Anyone can get these and are the result of internal factors such as inflammation or external factors such as injuries.
What Causes Bumps On Elbows?
As said above there are numerous causes which can either be due to an internal factor or external factor. In general, below are the causes.
- Inflammation (swelling)
- Improper healing of broken elbow bones
- A skin growth near elbows such as a tumor or cyst
- Sports injury
- Elbow joints’ infection
- Bacterial skin infections
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Dermatitis herpetiformis
- Ganglion cyst
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Olecranon bursitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sebaceous cyst
- Overuse injury
- Surface injury
- Tennis elbow
- Benign tumor
Symptoms Of Bumps On Elbows
Symptoms of the bump on the elbow can be varied and differ with each cause;
- Heavy bleeding
- Sudden and sharp elbow pain
- Noticeable malformation of the elbow joint that onsets suddenly
- Body pain
- Bumps on elbow itchy
- Lessened motion range
- Lethargy or malaise
- Noisy joints (popping and clicking sounds)
- Skin discolour like bruising
- Tingling or some other uncommon sensations in the hands
- Weakness (loss of strength)
- Shoulder, hand, arm or finger pain
- Redness, swelling or warmth
- Pain when the elbow is moved
- Small bumps on elbows not itchy
How To Treat Bumps On Elbows?
Treatment depends on the cause and each cause needs different means of treatment. However, one can follow the below tips and treatment methods to treat bumps on elbows.
- Resting is the best, easiest and effective means to treat a bump on/in the elbow. Usually, overuse of elbows can also lead to this condition. So, give rest whenever possible.
- Icing elbows can help lessen the pain. Place cold packs or ice wrapped in cloth on the affected elbow. Place ice for about 15-20 minutes at frequent intervals. This method is highly useful in the first 48 hours when you notice the pain.
- Warm bath and heat application is also as effective as applying cold therapy.
- Alter your activities, lessen the activities that strain and pressure your elbow. Repetitive actions that happen on the elbow should be avoided. Avoid repetitive actions and follow the changing of activities that involve elbows.
- One may also try OTC medicines such as pain killers or pain-relieving ointments.
- Use elbow pads to cushion them or wrap them using soft cloth while hitting the bed to avoid further damage.
- Physical therapy is also one science-backed treatment for bumps on elbows.
- Antibiotics can also do the magic for you, but be careful while using them. Take expert advice on which antibiotic better works for you.
- Exercises such as extension stretch, flexion stretch, pronation and supination stretches and hand flips.
- Direct injection of corticosteroids will also come as quick and handy help.
- Surgery is also one way but the last way after all the above methods have failed.
Tips To Prevent Bumps On The Elbow
Not all kinds of bumps on elbows are preventable. However, one can lower the severity of the condition and aftermath effects. One can as well lessen the risks of future occurrences.
Below are the tips one can follow to prevent the condition;
- Do not lift heavy loads.
- Reduce stress on elbows.
- Exercise the proper way and increase muscle strength to avoid future elbow conditions.
- If you doubt you are susceptible to this condition, ensure you are more careful by avoiding elbow straining activities.
- If the cause of the condition is some internal factor such as arthritis, cancer and so on, immediately address the cause.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D as these foods will increase bone strength which automatically will pave way for healthier elbows.
When To See A Doctor?
These below conditions ask immediate visit of a doctor
- The elbow is warm when touched
- Noticing fever or chills
- Development of rashes and bruises
- The elbow turns extremely painful and swollen
- Inability to properly bend or extend the arms and elbow
Bumps on elbows are bound to happen for anyone but all these above conditions are bit worrisome, so meet a GP without fail.
Sudheendra is a passionate blogger for 8 years and holds a Degree in Journalism & Mass Communications. His writings particularly focus on health, medicine, diet & lifestyle. For him, everything that interlinks and relates to health & medical world entices him. His write-ups aim at educating people not by just giving facts but by infusing human touch.